I have a lot of reviews leftover from 2016, and these are two of them. They’re a couple of quickies – one “meh-ish” and one “yay”.
Four Letter Word
Author: J. Daniels
Series: Dirty Deeds #1
Published by: Forever
Publication Date: October 4, 2016
Fate. Hate. Love. Lies.
Which four letter word will change their lives forever?
In an effort to avoid dealing with the shocking end of her marriage, Sydney Paige high-tails it Dogwood Beach, North Carolina to vent her anger onto the man who broke her best friend's heart. But when she unknowingly dials the wrong number, Syd's newly single world is turned upside down by a stranger who wants to keep her on the line.
Brian Savage is living a life he's quickly come to hate- until Sydney and her innocently wild voice. But Brian has secrets, ones that could destroy everything between them. And when the woman on the phone becomes the lover in his bed, shielding her from the mistakes of his past becomes harder and harder...
Four Letter Word boarders on ‘okay’ and ‘good’.
- I love the beach town setting, and the restaurant the girls worked at.
- I love great solid friendships. Tori and Sydney are super supportive and are willing to break laws for each other. Now that’s friendship. The guys too. I rather enjoy it when guys give each other crap.
- I need to feel something when I read, especially when it comes to romance, but I honestly didn’t feel any emotions while reading this. I eventually started skimming.
- The way they talked bugged me, especially Brian. Also, way too much “babe”. Blah!
- I had to suspend logical thinking at times and just ride the fiction train.
53 Letters for My Lover
Author: Leylah Attar
Publication Date: June 17, 2014
Shayda Hijazi—the perfect wife, the perfect mother, the perfect daughter. For thirty-three years, she has played by the rules, swallowing secrets, burying dreams and doing whatever it takes to anchor her family. Shayda Hijazi is about to come face to face with the one thing that can rip it all apart, the one thing her heart has always been denied: Love.
Troy Heathgate—untamed, exhilarating, dangerous—a man who does exactly as he pleases. Life bends to his will. Until he comes across the one thing he would give it all up for, but can never have.
Born on the same day in opposite corners of the world, their lives collide. And nothing is ever the same again.
Gah! I needed this. There’s something about the feeling of my heart going through the wringer that I love. 53 Letters to my Lover is definitely an emotional rollercoaster!
The story spans about 30 years and follows Shayda Hijazi through many ups and downs. Forbidden love, crossed lines, and flawed characters. I know this will be an automatic “no” because there is infidelity, but I love that it delves into the ugliness, taboo, and heartbreak. Because mixed in with all of that is a beautiful story that actually makes me feel. Things aren’t always black and white, and I love those conflicted feelings.
Bottom line: the angst is delicious!