Week three of the read-along!! I’m quite enjoying the book and the characters, especially Jeff.
January 3rd – Chapters 1-4 (Jenny at Supernatural Snark)
January 10th – Chapters 5-8 (Tina at Tina’s Book Reviews)
January 17th – Chapters 9-12 (Rummanah at Books in the Spotlight)
January 24th – Chapters 13-15 + epilogue (Missie at The Unread Reader)
January 31st – Special guest post by Chloe Neill and our grand prize giveaway!
Everyone who signs up for the read-along and participates each week will be entered in our grand prize giveaway, with the winner announced on each of our blogs on the 31st.
Discussion Questions Chapter 9-12
1. Catcher and Ethan share some personality traits. What makes Mallory, Merit, and even us readers attracted to these guys? Would you date/mate with someone like these guys in real life?
I think we like having someone else in control, at least for some things. *winkwink**nudgenudge* Hmm… I’ve always picked guys like Mark, where I’m in complete control. I like guys like Catcher for short-term, but then it turns into too much of a power struggle.
2. In Chapter 9 we learn of another murder. Do you see any patterns with the previous murder and Merit’s attack? Do you have any guesses as to who is responsible and the motive behind the murders?
Well, it threw out my maybe-theory that the 1st was a case of mistaken identity, and they were targeting Merit specifically. I can’t remember, but is there always 12 new vamps, or is it up to 12? Because, if Merit was the 12th, then who was supposed to be the 12th before her attack? And she just happened to be a female, fitting into the 6th female slot? Something is fishy.
3. The commendation is my favorite moment in the book and a significant event in Merit’s life. She has finally come to terms that she is a Cadogan vampire. Were you surprised at all that Merit resisted Ethan’s call and that he made her a Sentinel? Do you think she’ll do well in this position? Why or why not?
I wasn’t surprised she resisted, especially after what happened with what’s-her-face.. that other master vamp. And Catcher made some kind of comment like he had a feeling she could after that night at the bar. I think she will do well as Sentinel, maybe even become more powerful. I want to see her kick some major ass already.
4. Loyalty is a reoccurring theme throughout the book and much of this series. Why is it so important to Ethan that he needs Merit’s allegiance? Is it solely a Master and Sentinel thing or does it imply something else?
Oh, let’s see… There is definitely something more than just the vampire and house thing. Ethan wants Merit as his in a lot of ways. When she swore her allegiance, I think Ethan wants that to mean something a little more personal. Am I making sense? I’m trying to get this done before the NyQuil knocks me completely out.
5. If you had the opportunity to sit down with Ethan, Merit, Mallory, and Catcher for a bite to eat like in the beginning of Chapter 12, what questions would you ask them at this point of the story?
Who the hell eats a hot dog with utensils? Why exactly was Ethan on campus that night Merit was attacked? Can Catcher hook me up with Jeff?