Yay! It’s the 1st week of the First Grave on the Right read-along! You can still sign-up and participate if you want, the linkys will be open all month. Don’t forget that Darynda will be joining us for a Q&A at the end of the RAL, and there are prizes!
1st Wk – 8/2 Love of Books ~ Ch 1-5
2nd Wk – 8/9 Babbling About Books and Stuff ~ Ch 6-10
3rd Wk – 8/16 In the Closet With a Bibliophile ~ Ch 11- 15
4th Wk – 8/23 Rainy Day Ramblings ~ Ch 16-21
5th Wk – 8/30 Darynda Jones Q&A + winners announcement
1. We meet some of Charley’s ghostly “buddies,” do you believe you have ever had a ghostly encounter?
Well, I’ve experienced things that can’t be explained, but I usually don’t talk about them. I guess I better give an example since I asked the question, huh? Not too long ago my then 14-year-old son and I were in the living room when suddenly right between us it sounded like there was a little kid talking pretty loud. We both turned to the sound at the same time and then looked at each other like WTF? It was pretty cool, actually. There has been other strange things that happened in the same area, but I’ve always been able to give a rational explanation for them.
Btw, is it wrong that I kind of love Mr. Wong?
2. Charley named her jeep Misery. Have you ever named your vehicles? What did you name them?
Oh yeah! My first car at 16 was a cavalier dubbed Pepe. I can’t even believe the abuse poor Pepe endured.. like going out to orange groves a jumping hills to see how much air it could get. Pepe kept putting until I finally killed him. I also had a big Ford truck when I was 16 for pulling my horse trailer and stuff, and it was named White Tonka. A friend named it, but I don’t remember why. It was actually my favorite vehicle I ever had. Then I got a new car for graduation that I didn’t name … but I crashed it. So now I make sure to always name them. lol.
Oh, and if Charley drove her jeep to the crime scene, then got a ride with Garrett to the other crime scene, then got a ride home with that cop and the demon child, what happened to Misery? Did Uncle Bob bring her home? It’s these details that plague me.
3. Charley says her name “…brooks no opposition. It takes shit from no one.” What do you think your name says about you to strangers? Is there a different name that you think would suit you better?
That my parents watched porn in the 70’s.. lol I don’t know. When I really think of the name Christy, I think of a 70’s porn star. I honestly don’t know why I think that, especially since my grandma is the one who named me. I’ve always loved when girls have masculine names, like Charley or Alex because it sounds tough like Charley said, especially when the girl is cute. Kind of like the character Alex on Wizards of Waverly Place. Yes, I liked that show. Don’t judge me! So I always liked how my aunts and uncles call me Chris.
4. Charley says her best friend Cookie is “like Kramer from Seinfeld, only not so nervous, like Kramer might have been on Prozac.” Give us your best description of your best friend. How would they would describe you?Man, I should have thought about how I was going to answer these questions before asking them. I have two close friends that I would consider the best – lol. So the 1st would probably be like a Latina Chelsea Handler. I know she gets my effed up sense of humor, and we can always be raunchy and inappropriate with each other. And the 2nd would be my Native American James Bond. Actually, she’s more like Data from The Goonies. lmao. I don’t even want to know how they would describe me… I’m afraid to ask.
5. Garrett is reluctant to believe in Charley’s abilities, how would you react if a friend divulged to you that they can see and speak with the dead?
Whether I truly believed them or not, I’d go along with it. For three reasons. 1. They are mentally ill and believe they are seeing dead people, so I’m going do what I can to help. 2. They’re messing with me, so whatever. 3. They really do see and speak with them, in which case it wouldn’t bother me anyway. It would be cool if they really did though.
I’m loving this book! Charley has a kick-ass attitude, and I can’t wait to ‘experience’ more of Reyes >;)
Link your answers below and check out what everyone else said! Make sure to get the questions for week 2 from Babbling About Books and Stuff.